where's my cave?

I grew up in the midwest. we moved once when I was a kid. once.
who knew getting married would move us everywhere it has. in the last ten years, I have moved at least 10 times. we've been all over CA, into NV, over to CO, and now in HI.
its been interesting.

I get a lot of compliments from people on our why-not? perspective on moving. its mostly "wow, I wish I could do that." I think to myself, "really? ... you can if you really want."

there are 2 sides, and I fight them both every time moving comes up. I have major internal conflict because I can't decided which "side" I'm officially on.

why not go?
- its usually only circumstances holding you back. in case you don't know, circumstances change.
- there are jobs everywhere. know that money is a means; it does not define you ... or I ought to say it shouldn't define you.
- there are churches everywhere ... meaning your relationship with God isn't confined to a specific 4 walls. plus, there are always opportunities to serve others no matter where you go.
- there are relationships/friendships to be made everywhere. people are people.
- experience something different. get some culture!
- and who doesn't want to travel?! why save it for later?
later may never come.

why not stay?
- staying put allows you to really invest in things, people, places, work, etc.
- familiarity is comfortable.
- usually, you're family is close by. a big plus when you have kids.
- stability. stability. stability. did I mention, stability?
I would LOVE this kind of stability.

my personality is definitely to stay put. yes the list is shorter, but to me, each one counts as 10.

for the most part, I had a good childhood. we moved once, and I always saw that as being a good thing. it took me a long time not to associate moving & change with being a bad thing.
different is always bad, its just different.

familiarity suits me as in introvert just fine. sometimes I just want to find my cave and stay awhile ... but do you think staying comfortable teaches you anything? why change if you don't have to? I tend to think nothing will be gained while everything stays the same.

most of the time I hate the process. but God designed it that way, with reason ... for what will be obvious, eventually. right? right?!
I also have to accept, this might just be MY process.

the boys already have very different lives than I had as a kid. I think its a good thing to learn how to change easily, and, how to remain flexible due to changing circumstances. turns out I'm the only introvert in this little family of mine, so I have a feeling I'm in for more change. 1/2 of me wants to cry, scream, and have my tantrum. the other 1/2 is kinda, sorta excited about it.

I'm trying not to worry about tomorrow (Matthew 6:25-34).
that's always been my biggest problem.

there's been talks of going out of the country at some point. not sure if that will happen, but then again, if you suggested to me living in Hawaii even just 2 years ago, I would've told you that you were completely crazy!! but look where I am ... I'm convinced if God didn't want us to be here, the door would have been tightly shut.

tell me, given the opportunity, would you travel the world with your kids?

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Katie, I definitely admire you and your positive attitude and willingness to be so flexible. I think all of our lives look so different and God has called us to different things. I'm definitely more like you and Eric is more like Matt, but Eric's spontaneity and adventure just isn't in moving, but other things. I think, like anything, there are pros and cons to both sides and the most important thing is to follow where God is leading you, which you're doing.