because they will ask ...

I try to teach my kids to know right from wrong. 
to know when to stop, or to keep going.
to know how to ask for help.
to never give up, and to try and try and try again.


a quote I heard recently -
"never look down at other people ... unless you are bending over to help them up"
I want to teach them that too.


I teach them if someone isn't treating you right, use your words.  if that doesn't work, get an adult.  and if that doesn't do anything, walk away and find something else to do.
everyone doesn't know the golden rule.  I wish they did.  if they did, I think it would solve a lot of problems.


its funny, what you try to teach your kids, its usually a good "refresher course" for the parent too.  I suppose God had that in mind when he created these kids.  perfect just for me.


of course as I'm re-learning some of these lessons, I have more questions.  questions I'm afraid my kids will ask, because 1. I know they will ask eventually, and 2. I'm afraid because I don't have the answers.  


certain things are so black and white, yes or no; so easy, uncomplicated ... I guess all that entails (the not-so-common) common sense.  other things are the exact opposite, but, I don't need to tell you that, do I?  allow me to quote your mother, and mine "no one said life was fair."


its one thing to know it in your head, but when you're living it out, all these "what if's" come into play, and its very, very different.  it seems there are so many rules that bend due to the circumstances.  everything doesn't have a final line in the sand ... and I think that is what is driving me crazy.  I guess I'm a person who likes boundaries and it kills me to be the one to make them.  but sometimes you have to, like with the things you teach your kids.


what would you do, if you couldn't be you?  if you weren't accepted as you are?  if everything you said, thought, and felt was debated, questioned or attacked?  as I teach my kids, if all else fails, walk away ... because there is only so much you can do with that.


but do I, as an adult, also walk away?  or do I take it, because the rules say I have to?  or are rules and boundaries made as a guide?  kind of like the ropes in the water that say 'its safe to swim here, but not over there' when really, its the exact same.  
which is the better example for my kids?  I never want to live a lie.  I am not a fan of "fake it till you make it," to me, its based on a lie, but to me "practice what you preach" is very true.


too many euphemisms?
they're kind of like stereotypes; no one likes them or wants to be stereotyped one way or another, but there is truth to them since they're based on the majority.  right?


now in my opinion, the important part is to not hold resentment.  don't get bitter.  don't hold onto the offense and let it root in you.  I can't help but think of "don't hate the player, hate the game" ... can't believe I just said that, but hey, its true.  to me its just like what Jesus said " father forgive them, for they know not what they do."


certain things in life don't work on a clock.
issues come when they need to.
holiday or no holiday, its when God says "NOW."

No comments: