2nd grade

school started today.  yes, on a Wednesday.
not sure if its an effort to help everyone get used to the schedule without all 5 days dragging on, or ..... ???

last year we homeschooled.  this year is the exact opposite; off to public school.
he's always asked to go to school, so he was very excited this day has finally come.


he was nervous and practically skipped breakfast, which he NEVER does.  I tried not to make a big deal out that, and just keep him excited about the day.

I took another picture of him next to the school sign out front of the office.
(he's in 2nd grade; next year I might not get so lucky with the pictures! )
but I told him to meet me here - at the sign - after school.  "ok mom."

so 2:10 comes around and I wait.  and wait.  and wait.
there is a large crowd as soon as the bell rings, and soon enough, everyone finds where they need to be.
the after school program in the cafeteria begins.  the buses leave.  teachers are closing their doors.
where is Sam?
not at the sign.  not in his classroom.  not on the playground.  not in the office.  not in the cafeteria.

so I'm doing laps around school property and can't find him anywhere.
my stress has been high lately, and I'm doing my best to stay calm; keeping the tears back.
I decide to get some help at the main office.  I start talking and instantly my voice shakes and the tears roll.  

all along I knew in my gut that wherever Sam was, he wasn't freaking out.  I knew he was not kidnapped or anything ... but don'tcha HATE that little voice that tries to tell you you just might be?

so I get the help of a few staff members.  it took another good 10 minutes, and finally, he appears.
we was (technically) off school property.  waiting in a spot that we never even suggested, but somehow, his brain reasoned this was the spot.

he saw I was/had been crying, and gave me a big hug.  the staff had a few words for him, but really, they handled it all very well.  not sure if because it was the first day of school, or that they are always like that, but I was pleased they didn't assume the role of lecturing parent.

I've been saying to my family, friends, and to myself, that once we get on this new school schedule, a lot of things will work itself out.  that has been my focus for awhile, but I never thought there would be THIS kind of work to get there.

sigh.

the worst is over.  today is a new day.
and now, Sam definitely knows to meet me at the sign.

No comments: