sweet vegetables

being a mom is fun & frustrating, busy & boring, smiles & cries, but above all a blessing to focus on.  it's easy and expected to get wrapped up in whatever activities you and your family are up to, especially during the summer months.

I say that to say, many discoveries I make are so often past due.  I find an idea, and activity, a recipe (could be anything) that has originally happened so long ago and I think "where was I?" or "I'm just finding out about this now?"  

I take my boys to the library regularly.  The storytimes are great, there are books, books and more books, videos, the summer reading program; all kinds of goodies.  This last time I went, I visited a couple "Katie-sections" and found a few things.  one I'd like to tell you about, my latest (late) discovery.

It was published in 2007 ... I did have a child then, so why didn't I know about this?!

It is a full cookbook with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desserts.  Her deception is hiding veggies in EVERY dish.  She stocks up on veggies, steams them, blends them into purees, and adds them to everyday dishes.
Veggies like carrots, beets, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, and squash.  Fresh is always best, but you can use frozen or canned veggies too.  Some call for fruits such as apples, bananas, and avocados (that's a fruit, right?).
Once blended, fridgerate the ones you'll use sooner than later and freeze the rest.
These recipes are truly easy, recipes that your children will actually eat, and recipes made with everyday ingredients you probably already have, so no need for specialty stores to eat healthy.

I can't wait to try these ... and I will let you know. 
For whatever reason, when I think of libraries I don't think of cookbooks.  but they're there, a whole huge section!!

I wanted to spread the word about this cookbook ... in case you're living under a rock like me!  I encourage you to go to your local library and check this one out.  

1 comment:

LeighSabey said...

Hi, thanks for following my blog! I'm new to blogging but it's been really fun. I'll have to check back to read about all of your Colorado Springs stuff. I also have Deceptively Delicious (to sneak veggies into my husband's diet, since my 14 month old is still happy to eat them) but haven't tried any recipes yet. I love the concept but just haven't gotten around to making all the purees yet -- reminds me of my attempts to make baby food, with the blender splattering squash all over the kitchen!